Books & Monographs (5)
Book Chapters (5)
Commercial & Non-Profit Professional-Development Resources (16)
Invited Articles (16)
Articles in Refereed Journals (8)
Articles in Non-Refereed Sources (24)
Interviews, Editing, Press Citations & Profiles (46)
NOTE: Some resources linked below are the property of the clients for whom the resources were created, and are not meant for free public distribution. Please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain the password to get access to them.
Books & Monographs
- Heelan, A. & Tobin, T. J. UDL for FET Practitioners: Guidance for Implementing Universal Design for Learning in Irish Further Education and Training. Dublin, IE: SOLAS [An tSeirbhís Oideachais Leanúnaigh agus Scileanna], 2021. ISBN: 978-1-8380513-3-4.
- Linder, K., Kelly, K., & Tobin, T. Going Alt-Ac: A Guide to Alternative Academic Careers. Sterling, VA: Stylus Press, 2020.
- 6 Sep 2021. Prescott, Holly. "What skills do I have as a PhD? Getting a fresh perspective on an old-time question." PostGradual: The PhD Careers Blog.
- Mar 2021. Stott, Annette. "Book Review: Going Alt-Ac: A Guide to Alternative Academic Careers." The Wabash Center Journal on Teaching, 2(1): 237.
- 13 Feb 2021. Polk, Jennifer. "Recommended Reading." From PhD to Life: Meaningful Careers for PhDs.
- 21 Aug 2020: Ellis, Rob. "Snapshot: Going Alt-Ac: A Guide to Alternative Academic Careers (2020)." Fulbrighter.
- Spring 2020. "Alumni Notes: Spring 2020." Clarion University Magazine, 41.
- 24 Feb 2020. Kim, Joshua. "Foreword to Going Alt-Ac: A Guide to Alternative Academic Careers." Inside Higher Ed.
- 20 Feb 2020. Kim, Joshua. "3 Questions for the Authors of Going Alt-Ac." Interview. Inside Higher Ed.
- 30 Jan 2020. Larson, Zeb. "Going Alt-Ac: A Guide to Alternative Academic Careers by Kathryn Linder, Kevin Kelly, and Thomas J. Tobin." Interview. New Books Network.
- Reach Everyone, Teach Everyone: Universal Design for Learning in Higher Education. With Kirsten Behling. Morgantown, WV: West Virginia University Press, 2018.
- WVU Press Fall 2018 Catalog (full) [PDF]
- WVU Press Fall 2018 Catalog (book listing page) [PDF]
- 6 Oct 2022: Laster, Kathryn & Kile, Laura. "Inspired by Plus-One Thinking." Inspired to Learn podcast 12.3.
- 11 Oct 2021: [Ephsteyn, Ella]. "Teaching and Learning Books." Academic Technology & Teaching Excellence Consulting Services (ATTECS) blog. https://attecenter.com/blogs/news/teaching-and-learning-books.
- May 2021: Jacobs, Rachel Miller. "Book Reviews: Reach Everyone, Teach Everyone: Universal Design for Learning in Higher Education." The Wabash Center Journal on Teaching, 2(2): 287.
- 2 Dec 2020: Birt, Julie. "(Book Review) Reach Everyone, Teach Everyone by Thomas J. Tobin and Kirsten T. Behling." Campus Writing Program blog. University of Missouri.
- Winter 2020: Ubbesen, Molly E. "Review of Reach Everyone, Teach Everyone: Universal Design for Learning in Higher Education by Thomas J. Tobin and Kirsten T. Behling." Disability Studies Quarterly 40.1.
- Winter 2019: Lomellini, Amy. "Book Reviews: Reach Everyone, Teach Everyone: Universal Design for Learning in Higher Education." Journal of Postsecondary Education and Disability, 32(4): 461-462.
- 27 Nov 2019: Skrabut, Stan. "Book Review: Reach Everyone, Teach Everyone: Universal Design for Learning in Higher Education." Tubarks blog. https://tubarksblog.com/2019/11/27/book-review-reach-everyone-teach-everyone-universal-design-for-learning-in-higher-education/.
- Sep 2019: Ullmer, Jessica. "Review of Reach Everyone, Teach Everyone: Universal Design for Learning in Higher Education by T. Tobin and K. Behling." Teaching English in the Two-Year College. Vol. 47.1: 96-98.
- 9 Sep 2019: "Top 20 Best-Selling Education Titles | Academic Best Sellers." Library Journal. Web Site as of 27 Sep 2019 [PNG].
- 1 Jul 2019: Neuhaus, Jessamyn. "Fifteen Fantastic Books on College Teaching & Learning." Geeky Pedagogy blog.
- 18 Jun 2019: Leduc, Jaclyn. "Reframing Universal Design for Learning." Blog post. Cambridge, MA: 3Play Media.
- 12 Jun 2019: Andrews, James. Author discussion and Q&A. Madison, WI: Association for Distance Education and Independent Living (ADEIL) Book Study Group for Reach Everyone, Teach Everyone: Universal Design for Learning in Higher Education.
- 6 Jun 2019: Battaglia, Adria. Plus-One Thinking: A Framework for Inclusive Teaching." Faculty Innovation Center News. Austin, TX: University of Texas at Austin.
- Spring 2019: Leuzinger, Ryne; Roberts, Lindsay; Amsberry, Dawn; Sandelli, Anna; Silva, Elise; Wolff, Necia; & Wong, Melissa. "5 Things You Should Read About Universal Design for Learning." Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) Instruction Section. 5 Things series. https://acrl.ala.org/IS/wp-content/uploads/5-Things-You-Should-Read-About-Universal-Design-for-Learning.pdf.
- 14 Mar 2019: Johnson, James & Lewis, Rick. Adopting a Plus One Approach to Course Revision." Ed Tech blog. Cheney, WA: Eastern Washington University.
- 5 Mar 2019: Proctor, Jennifer & Palmer, Augusta. "How Can We Move Beyond Accessibility and Accommodations to Improve Media Education for All?" Zoom In blog. Dearborn, MI: Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion in Teaching (EDIT) Media.
- 11 Jan 2019: Gagné, Ann. "Reach Everyone, Teach Everyone" [PNG]. All Things Pedagogical blog. https://allthingspedagogical.blogspot.com/2019/01/reach-everyone-teach-everyone.html.
- 6 Dec 2018: Linton, Greg. "Higher Ed Resource of the Week: Reach Everyone, Teach Everyone: Universal Design for Learning in Higher Education [PNG]." Higher Education Pedagogy & Policy blog. https://glinton.wordpress.com/2018/12/06/higher-ed-resource-of-the-week-reach-everyone-teach-everyone-universal-design-for-learning-in-higher-education/.
- Dec 2018: "Tobin's Book Published." Clarion University Magazine 5.3 (Winter 2018): 9.
- 28 Nov 2018: Johnson, Mindy. "UDL in 15 Minutes: An Interview with Loui Lord Nelson [PNG]." National Center on Universal Design for Learning. https://medium.com/udl-center/udl-in-15-minutes-an-interview-with-loui-lord-nelson-1af12f2cf47a.
- 28 Nov 2018: Lieberman, Mark. "Q&A: Making Sense of Universal Design for Learning [PNG]." Inside Higher Ed. https://www.insidehighered.com/digital-learning/article/2018/11/28/new-book-offers-guide-evolution-universal-design-learning-udl.
- 25 Nov 2018: Hammond, Ruth. "Selected New Books on Higher Education [PDF]." Chronicle of Higher Education. https://www.chronicle.com/article/Selected-New-Books-on-Higher/245153.
- 16 Nov 2018: Petersen, Naomi. "New book on how to engage ALL learners in higher education." Accessibility Studies blog. Central Washington University. https://www.cwu.edu/accessibility-studies/new-book-how-engage-all-learners-higher-education, [PNG version].
- 18 Oct 2018: Stachowiak, Bonni. "Reach Everyone, Teach Everyone." Teaching in Higher Ed podcast. Episode 227. https://teachinginhighered.com/227.
- 28 Aug 2018:"Back-to-School Reading." Invited Panelist. Network & Learn webinar series. Universal Design for Learning Implementation and Research Network (UDL-IRN). Highlights Video [15:07].
- The Copyright Ninja: Rise of the Ninja. Comic book. State College, PA: St. Aubin Comics, 2017.
- Evaluating Online Teaching: Implementing Best Practices. With B. Jean Mandernach and Ann H. Taylor. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2015. https://www.wiley.com/en-us/Evaluating+Online+Teaching:+Implementing+Best+Practices-p-9781118910368.
- Promotional flyer [PDF]
- Spring 2017: Brown, Marcy L. "Review: Evaluating Online Teaching: Implementing Best Practices by Thomas J. Tobin, B. Jean Mandernach, Ann H. Taylor. Journal of Assessment and Institutional Effectiveness 7.1-2: 117-119. [PDF version].
- Fall 2016: "Books by POD Members." POD Network News. [PNG version]
- 27 Oct 2015: Shinn, Sharon. "Books: Evaluating Online Teaching." BizEd Magazine (Nov./Dec.): 16. [PDF version]
- 16 Sep 2015: "Popular Instructional Technology Books." Top Book Rankings [PNG image]. Good Reads.
- 3 Sep 2015: Center for Disability Information & Referral. Notice. CeDIR blog. Library at the Indiana Institute on Disability and Community, Indiana University-Bloomington.
- 24 Aug 2015: Jenkins, Adam Wayne. "A Roadmap for Evaluating Online Teaching: A review of Evaluating Online Teaching: Implementing Best Practices." eLearn Magazine.
- 19 Aug 2015: [Rader, Gary]. "How to Increase Student Evaluation Response Rates." Missouri State Online Faculty Support Services.
- 3 Aug 2015: Ayoub, Nina C. "Selected New Books on Higher Education." Book notice [PNG image]. The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- 22 Jul 2015: Walsh, Paul. What the plagiarism detection software isn't detecting." Academic Innovation blog. University of Baltimore.
- 17 Jun 2015: Nelson, Cooper. "Mandernach adds book to lengthy list of accomplishments." GCU Today. Grand Canyon University News Bureau.
- 3 Jun. 2015: "New at NEIU" [PDF]. Northeastern Illinois University Alumni Newsletter .
- 26 May 2015: "Thomas Tobin collaborates on Book about evaluating online faculty." News and Announcements, Northeastern Illinois University.
Commercial & Non-Profit Professional-Development Resources
- "The eLearning Leader's Toolkit for Evaluating Online Teaching" [PDF]. Leading and Managing e-Learning: What the e-Learning Leader Needs to Know. Eds. Piña, A. A.; Walker, V. L.; and Harris, B. R. Cham, Switzerland: Springer International Publishing AG, 2017: 235-252.
- "Improve the Flipped Classroom with Universal Design for Learning." With B. Honeycutt. Handbook of Research on Innovative Pedagogies and Technologies for Online Learning in Higher Education. Advances in Higher Education and Professional Development (AHEPD) series. Hershey, PA: IGI Global: 449-471.
- "How Universal Design for Learning Supports the Flipped Classroom" [PDF]. Flipping the College Classroom: Practical Advice from Faculty. Ed. Barbi Honeycutt. Madison, WI: Magna Publications, 2016: 66-72.
- "How Universal Design for Learning Supports Concept Mastery in the Flipped Classroom" [PDF]. Flipping the College Classroom: Practical Advice from Faculty. Ed. Barbi Honeycutt. Madison, WI: Magna Publications, 2016: 86-90.
- "How Can Course Design Help Prevent Online Cheating?" [PDF] Teaching Strategies for the Online College Classroom: A Collection of Articles for Faculty. Ed. Deidre Price. Madison, WI: Magna Publications, 2016: 95-101.
Articles in Refereed Journals
Articles in Non-Refereed Sources
Interviews, Editing, Press Citations & Profiles
- Apr 8, 2022. "Two-Minute-Takeaways: How Can you Become a More Effective Online Instructor?" Invited video guide series. Boulder, CO: Innovative Educators.
- Oct 25, 2021. "Two-Minute Takeaways: 10 Questions for Thought Leaders." Invited video guide series. Boulder, CO: Innovative Educators.
- Aug 23, 2021. Addressing Technology Access Barriers to Online Learning. 3-course self-paced learning path (requires OneHE subsription for access). York, UK: OneHE.
- 29 May 2020. "Universal Design in Courses: Beyond Disabilities" [PDF]. In Planning and Designing Your College Course. Foreword by Maryellen Weimer. Madison, WI: Magna Publications. https://www.magnapubs.com/product/books/planning-and-designing-your-college-course/.
- Jan 7 - Apr 30, 2020. Consulting Expert. "The UDL for FET Handbook: Guidelines on the Implementation of Universal Design for Learning in the Irish Further Education & Training Sector." Invited consulting. SOLAS grant. Dublin, IE: Association for Higher Education Access & Disability (AHEAD) Ireland.
- 2 Jul 2019 release. How Do I Go beyond the Basics of Universal Design for Learning (UDL)? 20-Minute Mentor series. Madison, WI: Magna Publications.
- Web site as of 8 Jul 2019 [PNG]
- Video [15:11, password protected]
- 1 Feb 2019 release. How Can I Ensure Academic Honesty in My Online Assessments? 20-minute Mentor series. Madison, WI: Magna Publications.
- Video [23:32, password protected]
- 15 Jul - 31 Dec 2018. Content designer. "Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion" micro-learning module. Louisville, CO: EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative (ELI).
- 15 Mar - 30 Jun 2018. Content designer. Micro-Learning Module series: Presentation Best Practices. Presenter Concierge web site. Louisville, CO: EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative (ELI).
- 9 Nov 2017 release. Copyright Crash Course: How Can I Stay on the Right Side of the Law? 20-Minute Mentor series. Madison, WI: Magna Publications.
- Video [22:50, password protected]
- 14 Sep 2016 release. How Can I Implement Universal Design for Learning (UDL) in 20 Minutes? 20-Minute Mentor series. Madison, WI: Magna Publications.
- Video [18:28, password protected]
- 14 Sep 2016 release. How Can I Implement Universal Design for Learning (UDL) in 20 Days? 20-Minute Mentor series. Madison, WI: Magna Publications.
- Video [19:03, password protected]
- 14 Sep 2016 release. How Can I Implement Universal Design for Learning (UDL) in 20 Months? 20-Minute Mentor series. Madison, WI: Magna Publications.
- Video [18:52, password protected]
- 9 Mar 2016 release. How Can I Evaluate Online Teaching if I Haven't Taught Online? 20-Minute Mentor series. Madison, WI: Magna Publications.
- 6 Mar 2016 release. How Can Course Design Help Prevent Online Cheating? 20-Minute Mentor series. Madison, WI: Magna Publications.
- 3 Mar 2016 release. How Can I Design Academic Integrity into My Online Programs? 20-minute Mentor series. Madison, WI: Magna Publications.
- 19 Jan 2016 release. "How to Evaluate Online Teaching." Just-In-Time Learning professional-development materials. Madison, WI: Magna Publications.
- Shimalla, Alexandra. "What Is UDL, and How Can It Be Used in Higher Education?" Source interview. EdTech Magazine. 24 May 2023.
- "POD Table Talks: Creating Session Engagement Beyond Think-Pair-Share." Invited panel expert. College Station, TX: Professional and Organizations Development (POD) Network. 11 Apr. 2023.
- "CoLab podcast 1.12. Host Josh Luckens. Teaching and Learning Collaborative. Boston, MA: Wentworth Institute of Technology. 30 Mar. 2023.
- Flaherty, Colleen. "A Matter of (Teaching) Style: Active Learning and Student Identities." Inside Higher Ed. 30 Mar. 2023.
- Invited guest. Episode 72: Dr. Tom Tobin - Alternative Academic Careers. The Dr. Luke Hobson podcast, host Luke Hobson. Cambridge, MA: Massachusetts Institute of Technology. 29 Mar. 2023.
- Wind, David Kofoed. "Top 100 Learning Influencers." Eduflow blog. 7 February 2023.
- "Copyright for the Rest of Us in Higher Education." Invited interview with Bonni Stachowiak. Teaching in Higher Education podcast. 28 Apr. 2022.
- "The Impact of Student Perceptions of Instructor Authority on Resistance to Inclusive Teaching." Invited interview with Catherine E. Ross and Chavella Pittman. Dead Ideas in Teaching and Learning podcast 4.5. New York, NY: Columbia University. 24 Mar. 2022.
- Kane, John & Mushtare, Rebecca. "Include Instructors in Inclusive Instruction." Invited interview, with Chavella Pittman. Tea for Teaching podcast. Episode 231. Oswego, NY: SUNY Oswego. 16 Mar. 2022.
- Dhami, Harleen. "8 Essential Higher Ed Books to Help You Navigate 2022." TopHat blog. 13 Jan. 2022.
- "Building Your Leadership Brand in Higher Education." Invited interview with Megan Kohler. Leading by Design podcast. 28 Dec. 2021.
- Frye, Brian L. "Thomas J. Tobin on Copyright & Higher Education Quality." Invited interview. Ipse Dixit podcast episode 728. 13 Oct. 2021.
- Cavanagh, Sara Rose. "Here Comes the Fall." Once More, with Feeling newsletter. 30 Aug. 2021.
- Sheridan, Patricia. "SEEN: Asian Lantern Festival Lights up the Pittsburgh Zoo." Pittsburgh Post-Gazette 16 Aug. 2021.
- "I Teach Teachers How to Teach." The Post-Pandemic Landscape in Higher Education Technology." Invited interview with Tyler Jacobson. LabChats podcast series. Idaho Falls, ID: LabStats. 1 Feb. 2021.
- Ryder, Dara. "Flexibility, Accessibility, Voice, and Choice: Universal Design for Learning Can Help Us Reach Every FET Learner." Ireland's Education Yearbook 2020. Ed. Brian Mooney. Dublin, IE: Education Matters.
- Cohn, Jenae. "2020 Year in Review: The Best Articles on Learning, Higher Education, and Technology." Digital Literacy blog. 6 Jan. 2021.
- Rysavy, Monica & Rysavy, Peter. "Working Remotely Before, During, and After the Pandemic." Tea and Tech podcast. Episode 13. Wilmington, DE: Goldey-Beacom College. 27 Dec. 2020.
- Pang, Amelia, & Manfuso, Lauren Glenn. "The 2020 Dean's List: 30 Higher Ed IT Influencers Worth a Follow." EdTech Magazine. 4 Nov. 2020. https://edtechmagazine.com/higher/article/2020/11/2020-deans-list-30-higher-ed-it-influencers-worth-follow.
- Amenabar, Teddy. "How College Students Can Make the Most of Remote Learning." Washington Post. 6 Sep. 2020. https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2020/09/06/remote-learning-college-zoom/.
- Magner, Denise. "The Quick Tip: How to Make the Most of a Virtual Conference." Chronicle of Higher Education. 1 Sep. 2020. https://www.chronicle.com/newsletter/quick-tip/2020-09-01.
- Ivec, Stephanie. "Why Your eLearning Content Needs An Inclusive Design Perspective." eLearning Industry blog. 1 Sep. 2020. https://elearningindustry.com/elearning-content-needs-inclusive-design-perspective.
- Darby, Flower. "6 Quick Ways to Be More Inclusive in a Virtual Classroom." Chronicle of Higher Education. 23 Jul. 2020. https://www.chronicle.com/article/6-quick-ways-to-be-more-inclusive-in-a-virtual-classroom.
- Gierdowski, Dana C. "2020 Study of Undergraduate Students and Information Technology: Accessibility & Accommodations." Invited subject-matter-expert editing. EDUCAUSE Review. 10 Jul. 2020.
- Mondelli, Victoria & Tobin, Thomas J., editors. Pedagogies of Care: Open Resources for Student-Centered & Adaptive Strategies in the New Higher Ed Landscape. Edited multimedia collection from the authors in the West Virginia University Press Teaching & Learning book series. http://tinyurl.com/PedagogiesOfCare/. 17 Jun. 2020.
- Kane, John & Mushtare, Rebecca. "Pedagogies of Care: UDL." Interview. Episode 138. Tea for Teaching podcast. Oswego, NY: SUNY Oswego. 3 Jun. 2020.
- Peace, Lauren. "Some Colleges Are Going Online This Fall. It's a Complicated Decision." Press interview. Uptown Radio. New York, NY: Columbia University. 15 May 2020. http://uptownradio.wixsite.com/uptownradio/post/some-colleges-are-going-online-this-fall-it-s-a-complicated-decision.
- Richwine, Brian. "Three Accessibility Tips that Improve Engagement for All Learners. The Connected Professor blog. Spring 2020. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University.
- Whittick, Erin. "Academic Integrity is Built through a Culture of Trust." Center for Teaching & Learning Newsletter. University of Missouri-St. Louis. May 2020, [8-9].
- Lederman, Doug. "Evaluating Teaching During the Pandemic." Interview source. Inside Higher Ed. https://www.insidehighered.com/digital-learning/article/2020/04/08/many-colleges-are-abandoning-or-downgrading-student-evaluations. 8 Apr. 2020.
- Payne, Daniel. "Will shift to distance learning during campus closures reshape American education?" Politics & Policy--Education section. Just the News. 31 Mar. 2020.
- Garfield, Allison. "Teaching toward, around technology: Are screen bans good for students?." The Daily Cardinal. University of Wisconsin-Madison. 27 Feb. 2020.
- Honeycutt, Barbi. "How Universal Design for Learning Can Help You Break Up Your Lectures: Part 1." Interview. Lecture Breakers blog. 4 Feb. 2020.
- Saba, Farhad. "Exclusive Interview with Dr. Thomas J. Tobin, University of Wisconsin-Madison. Distance-Educator.com. 29 Sep. 2019.
- [Bayne, Gerry]. "4 Ways IT Can Support Inclusive Education." Invited interview. EDUCAUSE Review ask-the-expert video series. https://youtu.be/5WJ0EKj69X8. 12 Aug. 2019.
- Lieberman, Mark. "Helping Institutions Reach Accessibility Goals." "Inside Digital Learning" section. Inside Higher Ed. 20 Feb 2019.
- Kim, Joshua. "A Q&A with Alt-Ac Thomas J. Tobin: Navigating Alternative-Academic Scholarship, Employment, and Life." Invited interview. "Technology and Learning" section. Inside Higher Ed. 14 Feb 2019.
- D'Angelo, Tony. "Interview with Thomas Tobin & Kirsten Behling: Reach Everyone, Teach Everyone." Episode 210. The Collegiate Empowerment Show podcast series. Host Tony D'Angelo. Easton, PA: Collegiate Empowerment, Inc. 16 Jan. 2019.
- Nave, Lillian. "Making UDL Work for Everyone with Thomas J. Tobin." Episode 3. ThinkUDL podcast series. Host Lillian Nave. CollegeSTAR consortium. Boone, NC: Appalachian State University. 15 Jan. 2019.
- Linder, Kathryn E. "Professional Websites as Conversation Starters" [PDF]. Resource profile. Managing Your Professional Identity Online. Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing, 2018: 83.
- Stachowiak, Bonni. "Reach Everyone, Teach Everyone." Teaching in Higher Ed podcast. Episode 227. 18 Oct. 2018. https://teachinginhighered.com/227.
- Bajka, Györgyi. "Teaching Teachers How to Teach: An Interview with Thomas Tobin, Faculty Developer" [also published in Hungarian and Dutch]. EPALE Magazine blog. Electronic Platform for Adult Learning in Europe (EPALE). 21 Sep 2018.
- Tissot, Leonardo. "Universal Design for Learning Is about Access." E-Learn Magazine. 20 May 2018. https://elearnmagazine.com/universal-design-learning-access/.
- West Virginia University Press. Author Gallery: Meet the Experts in Our Series Teaching and Learning in Higher Education." Booktimist blog. 14 Feb. 2018.
- Samuel, Anita. "Innovation. Inspiration. Connection. A Review of the Distance Teaching and Learning Conference 2017." eLearn Magazine. Oct. 2017. http://elearnmag.acm.org/featured.cfm?aid=3152718.
- McMurtrie, Beth. "Controversy at George Washington U. Highlights Challenges of Diving Deeply Into Online Education" [PDF]. Chronicle of Higher Education. 23 Oct. 2017. http://www.chronicle.com/article/Controversy-at-George/241528.
SCHOLARLY PUBLICATIONS ·
PROFESSIONAL PRESENTATIONS ·
SCHOLARLY PRESENTATIONS ·
Last updated 1 June 2023. © 2001-2022 Thomas J. Tobin.
Site content shared under a Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license.